Future Center Vision
We are also developing a full-scale Children’s Science Center which will be a world-class, STEM-focused, accessible children’s museum with activities and exhibits centered around six main exploration zones [the universe, the earth, the city, transportation, information technology and the human body]. It will be constructed on donated land at the Kincora development in Dulles, Virginia facing Route 28 North at the Nokes Boulevard West exit, approximately 4 miles north of Dulles Airport. The museum site plan allows for up to 70,000 square foot museum facility which will be built in phases over time. The main building is sized at over 30,000 square feet and is currently in the planning stage.
Hands-on activities, exhibits, and programs focusing on STEM are the mainstay of the Center and build skills that are necessary for academic and life success. The Children’s Science Center is deeply rooted in our community, and our exhibits are uniquely tailored to the experience of living and working in Northern Virginia and the larger DC metro area.
Core elements and design principles:
- Provide hands-on, interactive space for children aged 2-12 and their families, youth leadership opportunities for ages 10-18, and layered, family learning environments that serve mixed-aged, intergenerational groups
- Sustain excitement for STEM in teens through youth programs, so that children can grow up with the Children’s Science Center
- Integrate feedback from children in the design process to ensure that the museum is built “For Kids, By Kids“
- Inspire STEM learning for all children, particularly reaching economically disadvantaged youth, girls, and other groups underrepresented in STEM careers
- Be accessible to children with special needs through universal and inclusive design
- Developing interactive, accessible indoor and outdoor exhibits and programs
- Create LEED-certified museum facilities and exhibitions that serve as an example of good environmental stewardship
Visit Inspiration Tour to schedule a visit and learn more!