The Children’s Science Center Lab is even more fun with a scheduled field trip! Your students can explore science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) concepts through fun, engaging hands-on exhibits and activities.
Field Trips are primarily designed for school classes, day schools, home school groups/organizations, after-school care, summer schools and other educational organizations/groups that want a structured itinerary. Field trips are scheduled in two-hour blocks with a half hour for check-in and check-out/departure time, and 1 ½ hours (90 minutes) of the field trip dedicated to staff supported hands-on learning activities. Field trip visits include the following:
- One pre-selected experiment in the Experiment Bar
- One pre-selected engineering design challenge in the Tinker Shop
- Open exploration of interactive exhibits in the Inspiration Hub
- Animal Encounter available Tuesday-Thursday for an additional fee
Expert Facilitation by Experienced Educators
Our Lab Educators will facilitate hands-on activities with the assistance of your chaperones. Our team will also assist with check-in/out and rotating your group through the Experience Zones.
Field Trip Scheduling and Admission
Must be scheduled/booked in two-hour blocks, a minimum of two (2) weeks prior to visit date.
- Large classes may require multiple visits, consisting of a subgroup of students to accommodate the entire class.
- Field trips are scheduled Monday–Thursday: 10:00am – 12:00pm; 12:30pm – 2:30 pm, 4:00pm-6:00pm. (Other days and times considered upon special request.)
- Admission is $11 per student with a minimum of $100.00 deposit, or 20% required for booking/scheduling the field trip and balance to be paid on or before arrival for the field trip. (Deposit is non-refundable)
- Free admission is included for all teachers. All other adult chaperones must purchase admission at the group rate ($11.00/person) and will be included in the field trip total.
- The Children’s Science Center Lab may limit a field trip’s size when scheduled during peak visitation times, such as school holidays or the summer season.
Chaperone Requirements for Field Trips:
Field Trips are required to provide chaperones (teachers/adults) on the day of the visit.
The following chaperone ratios are required:
Pre-school: 1 chaperone per 4 students
Grades K – 2: 1 chaperone per 6 students
Grades 3 – 5: 1 chaperone per 7 students
Grades 6 – 8: 1 chaperone per 8 students
REMINDER. Your reservation is not confirmed until a Children’s Science Center team member confirms your date and your deposit is received. All major credit cards are accepted.
Questions? Email us or call (703) 648-3130. Title I Schools are encouraged to learn about our Discovery Days at the Lab program that provides field trips at no cost to the school. Registration for Discovery Days at the Lab will open on March 1st. Be sure and check back.
Please visit our Terms and Consumer Agreement
Special thanks to our In-Kind Transportation Provider: