The Children’s Science Center Lab is even more fun with a scheduled field trip! Your students can explore science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) concepts through fun, engaging hands-on exhibits and activities.
Field Trips are primarily designed for grade levels PreK – 6 in school classes, day schools, homeschool
groups/organizations, after-school care, summer schools and other educational organizations/groups that want a structured itinerary. Field trips are scheduled in two-hour blocks with a half hour for check-in and check-out/departure time, and 1 ½ hours (90 minutes) of the field trip dedicated to staff supported hands-on learning activities. Field trip visits include the following:
- One pre-selected experiment in the Experiment Bar
- One pre-selected engineering design challenge in the Tinker Shop
- Open exploration of interactive exhibits in the Inspiration Hub
- Animal Encounter available Tuesday-Thursday for an additional fee
Expert Facilitation by Experienced Educators
Our STEM Educators will facilitate hands-on activities with the assistance of your chaperones. Our team will also assist with check-in/out and rotating your group through the Experience Zones.
Field Trip Scheduling and Admission
Must be scheduled/booked in two-hour blocks, a minimum of two (2) weeks prior to visit date.
- Large classes may require multiple visits, consisting of a subgroup of students to accommodate the entire class.
- Large field trips are scheduled Monday–Thursday; Small field trips (less than 30 students) can be scheduled for Fridays.
- 10:00am – 12:00pm
- 12:30pm – 2:30 pm
- Other times considered upon special request
- Admission is $11 per student with a minimum of $100.00 deposit, or 20% required for booking/scheduling the field trip and balance to be paid on or before arrival for the field trip. (Deposit is non-refundable)
- Free admission is included for all teachers. All other adult chaperones are admitted at the group rate ($11.00/person) which will be included in the field trip total. Lab memberships cannot be used for field trips.
- Chaperones are not permitted to bring siblings on the field trip.
- The Children’s Science Center Lab may limit a field trip’s size when scheduled during peak visitation times, such as school holidays or the summer season.
Chaperone Requirements for Field Trips:
Field Trips are required to provide chaperones (teachers/adults) on the day of the visit.
The following chaperone ratios are required:
Grade PreK: 1 chaperone per 4 students
Grades K – 2: 1 chaperone per 6 students
Grades 3 – 5: 1 chaperone per 7 students
Grades 6 – 8: 1 chaperone per 8 students
REMINDER. Your reservation is not confirmed until a Children’s Science Center team member confirms your date and your deposit is received. All major credit cards are accepted.
Questions? Email us or call (703) 648-3130. Title I Schools are encouraged to learn about our Discovery Days at the Lab program that provides field trips at no cost to the school.
Please visit our Terms and Consumer Agreement