Citizen Scientist Program
This summer, we are partnering with the Audubon Society of Northern Virginia and Cornell University to bring you our Citizen Scientist Program, Celebrate Urban Birds (CUBS)!
Founded in 2007, Celebrate Urban Birds is a year-round project developed and launched by The Cornell Lab of Ornithology. Its primary purpose is to reach diverse urban audiences who do not already participate in science or scientific investigation.
Another goal is to collect high-quality data from participants that will provide us with valuable knowledge of how different environments will influence the location of birds in urban areas.
1) Learn to identify your neighborhood birds
2) Pick a time and place to watch birds and stick to it for at least 3 days
3) Watch for only 10 minutes and record your data!
How Do I become a Citizen Scientist?
Please read all four steps before clicking on the link.
1. Register to participate here.
2. Go to “My Location” and make an account. An email address is needed, so we recommend using an adult’s email address.
3. Start observing birds in your area of choice!
4. Once you are ready to record your data via website, you will put in the location of your observation for Day 1. On that page is a place to enter your Group/Observer Name. Please put Childsci in the box so that we can extract data specifically from all of our Citizen Scientist Program participants!
Frequently Asked Questions:
Q: What is the Citizen Scientists Program?
A: The Citizen Scientist Program is sponsored by the Children’s Science Center in partnership with Cornell University Lab of Orthinology. Your role is to identify local birds in your area. This is a nation-wide program as well as a global project.
Q: When can my family participate?
A: The Children’s Science Center is encouraging participation in the Citizen Scientist Program over the summer months (i.e., June through August 2018), when people spend can spend more time outside and have more free time outside of school.
Q: What do we need to do?
A: Register to participate in the Children’s Science Center Citizen Scientist Project by going to the Celebrate Urban Birds website and create an account. Observe birds in 10-minute intervals for at least 3 days and record our data.
|Saturday, May 11||New Experiment Bar Activity xStream Chemistry||10am - 6pm||No Registration Required|
|Saturday, June 1||Special Saturday Budding Program Focusing on Critters: Bugs & Insects||11:00 am||No Registration Required
|Saturday, June 8||Kids Night Out! Sliding Into Summer||6:30-8:30 pm||Registration Required|
|Sunday, June 30||Stream Walk at Loudoun Water||10:00am-12:00pm||Registration Required|
|Sunday, July 14||Stream Walk at Loudoun Water||10:00am-12:00pm||Registration Required|
|Saturday, August 3||Summer of Science Celebration||1:00pm-4:00 pm||Grand Court Fair Oaks Mall (Free Event)|
Print out our entire Summer Fun Schedule here!