Make a spooky-fun Halloween ghost by taking advantage of a simple chemical reaction!
– permanent marker (optional)
– water bottle
– 1 Tablespoon baking soda
– 1/2 cup vinegar
– funnel (optional)
– Draw a spooky or friendly face on your balloon, if you like.
– Fill the balloon with about 1 Tablespoon of baking soda.
– Fill the water bottle with about 1/2 cup of vinegar.
– Attach the open end of the balloon to the mouth of the water bottle, taking care not to let the baking soda fall into the water bottle (yet). Make sure the connection is secure to avoid a mess!
– When you are ready, lift the balloon and shake the baking soda into the water bottle and vinegar.
– Any predictions on what will happen?
How it Works
The product of the reaction between baking soda and vinegar is carbon dioxide. The gas fills the balloon, your Halloween ghost!